Rabbi Tracee Rosen & Mayor Ralph Becker unveil the historic marker
Jew's are reputed to have been amongst the "Mountain Men" accompanying famed explorer Jim Bridger in the early 19th century. Julius and Fanny Brooks were the first documentable Jewish Americans, 1855, who made Utah their home. A chance meeting with a U.S. Army Captain in Galena, Ohio recommended they move west for opportunities. The Captain was Ulysses S. Grant, later president of the United States. It was not until 1874 that the Jewish community in Salt Lake City grew large enough to establish a regular, sustainable Jewish religious community.
Congregation B’Nai Israel
Site of the first permanent Jewish house of worship in Utah 1883
Jews have been part of Utah’s religious, economic, social, and political life since the mid-19th century.Congregation B’Nai Israel was organized in 1874.The first service was held in March, 1883.B’Nai Israel merged with Congregation Montefiore in 1972 establishing Congregation Kol Ami. Congregation B’Nai Israel in Utah affirmed the American principles of Freedom of Religion and Assembly
Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation, Utah State History, Congregation Kol Ami
Historic marker located at the Peery Hotel, Salt Lake City, Utah
The plaque is located at the historic Peery Hotel. The Peery was built in 1910 on the site of the earlier Congregation B'Nai Israel. The Congregation had relocated to 249 South 400 East Streets in Salt Lake City in 1889. The new house of worship was a scaled reproduction of the "Great Synagogue" in Berlin, Germany.