On this site the first Jewish place of worship in the state of Kansas was built. After a large Jewish community established residence in Leavenworth City, Kansas Territory. Temple B'Nai Jeshurun was constructed in 1866. Initially, the first group of Jewish worshipers assembled in the home of Jonas Wollman, prominent Leavenworth businessman, in 1852. The congregation was formally organized with about 45 families living here in Leavenworth, in May 1859. The original frame building was razed in 1916 and replaced by the present structure. It served as a place of worship for the Jewish congregation of Leavenworth until the 1970's. Its presence affirms the American principles of freedom of religion and assembly.
The Leavenworth County Historical Society
The Jewish American Society for Historical Preservation 2012